Navigation & Map reading Skills Courses
Navigation is the principle skill required to safely travel through hilly and mountainous terrain in order to get to where you want to go.
On clear, sunny days navigation is usually a straightforward affair. In less than ideal conditions navigation can become far more testing requiring good judgement, skill and confidence.
This introductory course aims to teach and develop your navigation & map reading skills regardless of any previous experience. This course will help give you confidence to enable you to venture away from well marked tourist paths in hilly and mountainous areas of the UK.
This course can be tailored to meet your specific requirements and time constraints. We focus on teaching navigation skills in a practical and logical manner. No previous experience is necessary and we will adapt the course to suit the general level of ability.
- Orientation of the map
- Map symbols & scales
- Ground shape and contours
- Measuring distances
- Taking bearings
- Calculating how long a particular walk will take
- Grid references
- Ground shape and contour
- Strategies for finding a feature (micro navigation)
- Pacing and timing distances
- Measuring and walking on a bearing
- Relocation strategies (how to find where you are if you get lost)
- Night Navigation (depending on time of year)